F1 and Moto GP stars donate items for Henry Hope-Frost auction
A new award and a charity auction to celebrate the life of the late motorsport commentator at Silverstone Classic – Hamilton, Coulthard, Villeneuve and Rossi have already donated
The Silverstone Classic will pay special tribute to the ‘Voice of Goodwood’, Henry Hope-Frost, the beloved broadcaster and freelance journalist who was tragically killed in a road traffic accident back in March, aged just 47.
Best recognised for bringing his trademark enthusiasm and wit to the proceedings of various classic events, Henry was a part of the commentary team at the annual Silverstone Classic event, sharing his passion for all forms of motorsport with all ages. If ever you wanted to get someone hooked on motor racing, all you had to do was get them tuned in to Henry's live feed.
Although Henry will no longer be inciting all-comers with his love for anything ‘fast and loud’, the #Fever will thunder on in his memory at this year’s Silverstone Classic event with a series of commemorations.
- Henry on his top 10 Autosport show celebrity moments
- Action in the snow at Goodwood 76th Members' Meeting
- Some great classic cars for sale
With full backing from his family, dedicated attributes include a new Henry Hope-Frost #FEVER Award given to the most memorable high-octane moment over the the weekend’s massive retro race programme. This inaugural award will be presented by Henry’s father, Tim Hope-Frost, together with Silverstone Classic Event Director, Nick Wigley.
'#Fever' walls are to be created close to podiums in both Heritage and International paddocks, allowing everyone to pay their own respects and tributes to Henry. #FEVER stickers will also be on sale from merchandise outlets with proceeds being donated to Henry’s family.
A large number of auction items have been pledged by F1 teams, drivers, sponsors and motorcycle racing celebrities to raise funds for Henry’s ‘HF Junior Team’ – his three children.
Donations include a David Coulthard 1998 race suit (above), a Mercedes race suit signed by reigning Formula 1 World Champion Lewis Hamilton, signed Gilles Villeneuve memorabilia and books signed by Valentino Rossi (below). Further lots will be hammered away by Silverstone Auctions as part of its two-day automobilia sale.
Speaking of the commemorative events being held at this summer’s Silverstone Classic, Henry’s wife Charlotte Hope-Frost commented: ‘Me and the three boys who make up the 'HF Junior Team' continue to be incredibly touched by every celebration of Henry's life, and also the staggeringly generous financial support that has come with so much of that.
‘The auction at the Silverstone Classic is a symbolic and fitting conclusion to a very valuable process that is helping to secure the futures of Oscar, Jasper and Felix. Our heartfelt thanks go out to everyone who has helped, and who continues to do so.’
‘Henry was a truly wonderful man as well as a highly valued and greatly respected member of our team – his undiluted passion will be missed enormously at all future Silverstone Classics,’ said Event Director, Nick Wigley.
‘There is no better way for us all to pay our respects to him, and to his family, than by ensuring his intoxicating fever continues to fuel everyone’s passion for his beloved motor sport.’
You can find out more on the official Silverstone Classic website.
Henry Hope-Frost Family Fever Auction
Confirmed lots for the Henry Hope-Frost Family Fever Auction, presented by Silverstone Auctions on Saturday 21 July at the Silverstone Classic include:
- Lots 301A and 302: Two specially signed Moto GP hardback books (donated by Mat Oxley)
- Lot 303: Jonathan Rea signed photos (donated Jonathan Rea/LAT)
- Lots 304-309: From the Giacobazzi Family collection:
- 1982 San Marino GP signed Gilles Villeneuve postcard
- 1981 signed Gilles Villeneuve Giacobazzi postcard
- 1982 signed Gilles Villeneuve Giacobazzi postcard
- 1982 signed Gilles Villeneuve Giacobazzi sticker
- Lot 310: Original David Coulthard 1998 race suit (donated by the McLaren F1 team) (photo below top right; credit: LAT)
- Lot 311: Kimi Raikkonen signed gloves (donated by Kimi Raikkonen)
- Lot 312: Max Verstappen signed Nomex top (donated by Red Bull Racing)
- Lot 313: Lewis Hamilton signed race suit (donated by Mercedes AMG F1)
- Lot 314: 40 Years of Renault books (donated by the Renault F1 team)
- Lot 315: Esteban Ocon signed race suit (donated by the Force India F1 team)
- Lot 316: Signed Romain Grosjean race suit (donated by the Haas F1 team)
- Lot 317: Signed Massa 'Brazil 2016' race suit (donated by the Williams F1 team)
- Lot 318: McLaren Factory Tour for six hosted by Amanda McLaren (donated by the McLaren F1 team)
Classic Cars for Sale
1971 Mercedes-Benz 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet US Version Restored by a marque and concours specialist to the Highest Standard In Blue-Chip Stock Collector Condition Body Style: 2dr Cabriolet Chassis Number: 11102712002682 Engine: 8-cyl. 3499cc/230hp Bosch FI Transmission: 4-Speed Automatic Exterior Color: Sandy Beige Mercedes-Benz 280SE 3.5 History: Mercedes-Benz model nomenclature in
Top quality SP2. BL engine 1700cc, pantographic windshield blades. Everyday is harder to find good SP2´s available on market. This one has many details that make him a good investment. Check a lot of photos on our website. https://www.brazilianclassiccars.com/car/original-sp2/ Shipping is available for any country.
Overall this Jaguar series 1.5 is best classified as a nice driver. The car shows well with an older restoration and Nice paint. The car runs well with excellent oil pressure and no smoking. The electrical and all lights are functional. The engine is non original to the car. the body gaps are excellent, I do not believe it to have ever been hit or in an accident. The underside is very solid
Red exterior paint with black hard top over black interior with black convertible Haartz cloth convertible top. The car is powered by its rock solid Mercedes Benz inline 6 cylinder engine fed by Mercedes' proven fuel injection system. The car comes equipped with the desirable 4 speed manual transmission and independent rear end. The red exterior paint is newer and excellent all over, bumpers and b