F1 and Moto GP stars donate items for Henry Hope-Frost auction
A new award and a charity auction to celebrate the life of the late motorsport commentator at Silverstone Classic – Hamilton, Coulthard, Villeneuve and Rossi have already donated
The Silverstone Classic will pay special tribute to the ‘Voice of Goodwood’, Henry Hope-Frost, the beloved broadcaster and freelance journalist who was tragically killed in a road traffic accident back in March, aged just 47.
Best recognised for bringing his trademark enthusiasm and wit to the proceedings of various classic events, Henry was a part of the commentary team at the annual Silverstone Classic event, sharing his passion for all forms of motorsport with all ages. If ever you wanted to get someone hooked on motor racing, all you had to do was get them tuned in to Henry's live feed.
Although Henry will no longer be inciting all-comers with his love for anything ‘fast and loud’, the #Fever will thunder on in his memory at this year’s Silverstone Classic event with a series of commemorations.
- Henry on his top 10 Autosport show celebrity moments
- Action in the snow at Goodwood 76th Members' Meeting
- Some great classic cars for sale
With full backing from his family, dedicated attributes include a new Henry Hope-Frost #FEVER Award given to the most memorable high-octane moment over the the weekend’s massive retro race programme. This inaugural award will be presented by Henry’s father, Tim Hope-Frost, together with Silverstone Classic Event Director, Nick Wigley.
'#Fever' walls are to be created close to podiums in both Heritage and International paddocks, allowing everyone to pay their own respects and tributes to Henry. #FEVER stickers will also be on sale from merchandise outlets with proceeds being donated to Henry’s family.
A large number of auction items have been pledged by F1 teams, drivers, sponsors and motorcycle racing celebrities to raise funds for Henry’s ‘HF Junior Team’ – his three children.
Donations include a David Coulthard 1998 race suit (above), a Mercedes race suit signed by reigning Formula 1 World Champion Lewis Hamilton, signed Gilles Villeneuve memorabilia and books signed by Valentino Rossi (below). Further lots will be hammered away by Silverstone Auctions as part of its two-day automobilia sale.
Speaking of the commemorative events being held at this summer’s Silverstone Classic, Henry’s wife Charlotte Hope-Frost commented: ‘Me and the three boys who make up the 'HF Junior Team' continue to be incredibly touched by every celebration of Henry's life, and also the staggeringly generous financial support that has come with so much of that.
‘The auction at the Silverstone Classic is a symbolic and fitting conclusion to a very valuable process that is helping to secure the futures of Oscar, Jasper and Felix. Our heartfelt thanks go out to everyone who has helped, and who continues to do so.’
‘Henry was a truly wonderful man as well as a highly valued and greatly respected member of our team – his undiluted passion will be missed enormously at all future Silverstone Classics,’ said Event Director, Nick Wigley.
‘There is no better way for us all to pay our respects to him, and to his family, than by ensuring his intoxicating fever continues to fuel everyone’s passion for his beloved motor sport.’
You can find out more on the official Silverstone Classic website.
Henry Hope-Frost Family Fever Auction
Confirmed lots for the Henry Hope-Frost Family Fever Auction, presented by Silverstone Auctions on Saturday 21 July at the Silverstone Classic include:
- Lots 301A and 302: Two specially signed Moto GP hardback books (donated by Mat Oxley)
- Lot 303: Jonathan Rea signed photos (donated Jonathan Rea/LAT)
- Lots 304-309: From the Giacobazzi Family collection:
- 1982 San Marino GP signed Gilles Villeneuve postcard
- 1981 signed Gilles Villeneuve Giacobazzi postcard
- 1982 signed Gilles Villeneuve Giacobazzi postcard
- 1982 signed Gilles Villeneuve Giacobazzi sticker
- Lot 310: Original David Coulthard 1998 race suit (donated by the McLaren F1 team) (photo below top right; credit: LAT)
- Lot 311: Kimi Raikkonen signed gloves (donated by Kimi Raikkonen)
- Lot 312: Max Verstappen signed Nomex top (donated by Red Bull Racing)
- Lot 313: Lewis Hamilton signed race suit (donated by Mercedes AMG F1)
- Lot 314: 40 Years of Renault books (donated by the Renault F1 team)
- Lot 315: Esteban Ocon signed race suit (donated by the Force India F1 team)
- Lot 316: Signed Romain Grosjean race suit (donated by the Haas F1 team)
- Lot 317: Signed Massa 'Brazil 2016' race suit (donated by the Williams F1 team)
- Lot 318: McLaren Factory Tour for six hosted by Amanda McLaren (donated by the McLaren F1 team)
Classic Cars for Sale
• 1977 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.0 • Recent £5,000 bill from marque specialists, Autofarm • Rare RHD example with sunroof • Desirable Minerva Blue with Brown/Tartan interior • Top end rebuild and new clutch 4,000 miles ago The 2.7 Carrera RS was the result of Porsche’s realisation that the heft of the 2.4 litre 911S was going to restrict the marque’s ability to go racing. It
New Japanese import Perfect condition throughout. The odd tiny scrape on bumpers, bodywork all perfect Absolutely no rust or corrosion. Fully undersealed. Interior perfect - Black leather. Radio converted to UK frequencies MPH speedo dial fitted. Navigation does not work in UK. JEVIC certification of mileage - 18500km / 11200 miles. Just serviced, 12 month MOT Sunroof, Hifi speaker
2005-55 volvo xc70 d se 2.4 diesel auto estate 2 owners 59k fvsh 14 stamps private plate very rare sought after best available in absolutely incredible & original condition the best ?stunning example volvo xc70 diesel se 2.4 auto 2 owners from new 2.4 turbo diesel auto very low mileage 59000 with full volvo service history (caffyns volvo) looks and drives superb first to see will buy must be s
I have my Jaguar XF, Registered 27/10/2010, Colour Gold, Cream Leather interior, Only 35.300 miles, Full service history, One previous owner, All electrically working, The car is in very good condition inside and out, Genuine reason .