New GM Motorsports heritage display opens this weekend
Chevrolet’s race and pace cars from past and present will be on display at GM World in Detroit, representing NASCAR, IndyCar, IMSA and NHRA
A new display of General Motors’ race cars, pace cars and support trucks, new and old, opens this weekend at GM World in Detroit, ahead of the June 1-3 running of the Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix.
GM World itself fills the five-storey atrium at the heart of the Renaissance Center, and includes vehicle displays, large LED information screens and a vehicle turntable around the atrium’s central column. There are specialists on hand around the displays to answer questions on the exhibits.
Chevrolet has a long racing history, from IndyCar – in which founder Louis Chevrolet made his reputation more than a century ago – to NASCAR, IMSA, NHRA and more.
- Dodge factory turned into new Viper museum
- Briggs Cunningham, the American determined to win Le Mans
- Great Chevrolet classics for sale
The featured vehicles in the new motorsports display are:
- 1967 Camaro Indy 500 pace car as driven by Mauri Rose
- 2015 Corvette Indy 500 pace car as driven by Jeff Gordon
- 2016 Camaro SS Indy 500 pace car as driven by Roger Penske
- 2018 Silverado NASCAR support truck
- Silverado NASCAR Camping World Truck Series pace truck
- 2012 #90 Corvette Daytona Prototype
- 2018 #48 Camaro ZL1 Hendrick Motorsports Jimmie Johnson NASCAR race car
- 2018 Camaro ZL1 pace car
- 2017 Chevrolet IndyCar
- 2018 Camaro GT4.R ‘Blackdog Speed Shop’ World Challenge GTS race car
- 2001 Corvette C5-R American Le Mans Series race car
- 2015 Cadillac ATS-V.R IMSA GT-3 race car
- 1987 #5 Rick Mears Chevrolet-powered Penske PC17 IndyCar race car
There are also several race engines on display, and additional vehicles will be added throughout the summer.
‘The new display in GM World celebrates one of the richest histories in motorsports,’ said Tim Mahoney, chief marketing officer of Global Chevrolet and GM Global Marketing Operations leader. ‘With the Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix only a few days away, it offers a great reason to visit the Renaissance Center before heading to Belle Isle for the races.’
‘GM’s Chevrolet and Cadillac brands have both had long, storied histories in motorsports,’ added Jim Campbell, US vice president of Performance Vehicles and Motorsports. ‘Racing is a fundamental part of what we do – from transferring technology learned on the track to help us build better vehicles, to connecting with consumers through something they love.’
Classic Cars for Sale
Crevier Classic Cars are offering a 1972 Chevrolet C10 Shortbed. Cheyenne Model Built 350 CI V-8 Holley Carburetor Edelbrock Intake MSD ignition TH350 Transmission Factory Tach Power steering Factory front Disc brakes Factory colors, White with Ochre Houndstooth interior 20 Chrome Ridler Wheels with Toyo tires MP3 connection to radio
YEAR 1969MAKE CHEVROLETMODEL CHEVELLE SS396 (L78)BODY STYLE 2 DOOR COUPEENGINE 396/375 H.P. L78 NUMBERS MATCHINGTRANSMISSION 4 SPEED M22REAR 4.10 POSIEXTERIOR COLOR LEMANS BLUEINTERIOR COLOR PARCHMENTOPTIONS396 4BBL L784 SPEED M224.10 POSI REARHEAVY DUTY SUSPENSIONZL3 SS396Z25 SUPER SPORTLAMP PACKAGEDUAL HORNSPOWER STEERINGPOWER DIS BRAKESVIN BREAKDOWN 136379G3366611 CHEVROLET36 MALIBU 8 CYL37 2 D
Location: Syosset, New York, 11791 Stock #: C1685 VIN #: 1. YEAR 1969MAKE CHEVROLETMODEL CHEVELLE SS396 (L78)BODY STYLE 2 DOOR COUPEENGINE 396/375 H.P. L78 NUMBERS MATCHINGTRANSMISSION 4 SPEED M22REAR 4.10 POSIEXTERIOR COLOR LEMANS BLUEINTERIOR COLOR PARCHMENTOPTIONS396 4BBL L784 SPEED M224.10 POSI REARHEAVY DUTY SUSPENSIONZL3 SS396Z25 SUPER SPORTLAMP PACKAGEDUAL HORNSPOWER STEERINGPOWER DIS BRAKE