Derek Bell MBE to head up Flywheel spectacular
Celebrated racing driver will star at June’s classic car and aircraft extravaganza, to be held at Bicester Heritage
Details of this year’s Flywheel show have been revealed – and heading up the classic car and aircraft extravaganza’s action-packed line-up will be an on-track appearance by five-time Le Mans hero Derek Bell MBE.
Following on from the success of Bicester Heritage’s inaugural Flywheel event, held in 2015, the latest staging of the classic vehicle spectacular will take place on 23-24 June, 2018.
Celebrated endurance driver Bell will be in attendance on Saturday 23, adding to an exciting programme that includes historic competition car and military vehicle exhibitions along with air displays.
- Porsche celebrates 70 years with special exhibitions
- Top 10 Le Mans heroes
- Great classics cars for sale on AutoClassics
The ex-Porsche driver – who with various marques won the Le Mans 24-hours five times, the Daytona 24-hours three times and took two World Sportscar Championship titles, as well as raced in Formula 1 – will mark the German sports car brand’s 70th anniversary by performing track demonstrations in a 1965 911 racer. He will also be signing copies of his new book, Derek Bell: All My Porsche Races.
The short-wheelbase, racing 911 he will showcase has been rebuilt by Bicester Heritage-based Sports Purpose, together with specialist partners including Jordan Racing Team and Tuthill Porsche. It will be campaigned extensively throughout 2018 in the 2 Litre Cup and Le Mans Classic.
Bell said: ‘I’m looking forward to my first visit to Flywheel, taking part in the action and seeing the spectacular selection of vehicles there. Having recently completed a “wingwalk” for charity, I have a new-found respect for pilots, so I’m equally keen to see the air displays as the race and road cars! Driving around the Bicester Heritage track, which is such a fitting location for the event, and meeting the fellow enthusiasts is set to make for a fantastic day.’
Flywheel combines static and action displays of world-class competition, road and military classics, as well as features a huge array of vintage aircraft on the ground and in the sky. It also boasts a Vintage Village with period fairground rides, live music performances, shopping and food stalls.
AutoClassics will be revealing more information in the weeks leading up the Flywheel event, so watch this space!
- Event will take place on Saturday 23 and Sunday 24 June, 2018
- Venue is the Bicester Heritage classic car hub at Buckingham Road, Bicester, Oxfordshire OX27 8AL
- Advance ticket prices start from £23 per adult, £10 per child (5-15) and £55 per family. Entry for under-fives is free, as is parking
- VIP package upgrades also available, including hospitality
- Find out more and book tickets here and here
Photos courtesy of Sports Purpose/Nat Twiss
Classic Cars for Sale
• 1977 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.0 • Recent £5,000 bill from marque specialists, Autofarm • Rare RHD example with sunroof • Desirable Minerva Blue with Brown/Tartan interior • Top end rebuild and new clutch 4,000 miles ago The 2.7 Carrera RS was the result of Porsche’s realisation that the heft of the 2.4 litre 911S was going to restrict the marque’s ability to go racing. It
New Japanese import Perfect condition throughout. The odd tiny scrape on bumpers, bodywork all perfect Absolutely no rust or corrosion. Fully undersealed. Interior perfect - Black leather. Radio converted to UK frequencies MPH speedo dial fitted. Navigation does not work in UK. JEVIC certification of mileage - 18500km / 11200 miles. Just serviced, 12 month MOT Sunroof, Hifi speaker
2005-55 volvo xc70 d se 2.4 diesel auto estate 2 owners 59k fvsh 14 stamps private plate very rare sought after best available in absolutely incredible & original condition the best ?stunning example volvo xc70 diesel se 2.4 auto 2 owners from new 2.4 turbo diesel auto very low mileage 59000 with full volvo service history (caffyns volvo) looks and drives superb first to see will buy must be s
I have my Jaguar XF, Registered 27/10/2010, Colour Gold, Cream Leather interior, Only 35.300 miles, Full service history, One previous owner, All electrically working, The car is in very good condition inside and out, Genuine reason .