75 years of BMW Motorsports celebrated at the LeMay
A new exhibition for the LeMay – America’s Car Museum, to mark 75 years of BMW’s successes in all forms of motorsport
A new exhibition, Heroes of Bavaria – 75 Years of BMW Motorsports opens today, May 12, at the LeMay – America’s Car Museum in Tacoma, Washington. It will feature 17 of BMW’s most iconic race cars, and will be followed a week later by a second exhibition, celebrating the BMW 2002, which opens on May 18.
Heroes of Bavaria includes a 1961 700 RS and a 1972 3.0 CSL Group 2 rally car – the only one of its kind. Also on display is a BMW Williams Formula F1 driven by Ralf Schumacher in eight races, achieving three podium finishes during the 2000 season.
- John Surtees’ BMW 507 to be sold
- The AutoClassics guide to buying a BMW E30 M3
- Classic BMWs for sale
The rest of the cars are as follows:
- 1937 328 Roadster
- 1961 700 RS first-built 700 RS
- 1965 1800 TI/SA
- 1972 3.0 CSL Group 2 Rally #6 Rauro Aaltonen/John Davenport
- 1977 (E21) 320 Turbo IMSA Group 5 #2 David Hobbs
- 1981 March-BMW 812 Formula 2 #5 Christian Danner
- 1981 March-BMW M1/C IMSA #2 David Hobbs/Mark Surer
- 1986 635i ‘John Player Special’ Livery #1
- 1987 (E30) M3 Korman Firehawk Series #28 Davy Jones
- 1992 (E36) M3 GTS-3 IMSA #07 ‘Valvoline’ Livery
- 1994 (E34) M5 Bridgestone Supercar #2 David Donohue
- 1994 (E36) 320i Super Touring #2 Paul Morris
- 2000 BMW.Williams FW22 Formula 1 #10 Ralf Schumacher
- 2011 (E92) M3 GT IMSA Champion #56 Joey Hand/Dirk Mueller
- 2015 (E89) Z4 GTLM IMSA ‘BMW NA 40th Anniversary’ Livery #25 Auberlen/Werner/Farfus
- 2017 (F13) M6 GTLM IMSA ‘Bill Power’ Livery #25 Bill Auberlen/Alexander Sims/Kuno Wittmer
They’ve been assembled with the help of private collectors, the BMW USA Classic Collection and the BMW Car Club of America, to celebrate BMW’s motorsports history.
‘The Heroes of Bavaria exhibit celebrates the history of BMW racing by featuring noteworthy race cars beginning with the infamous 328,’ said museum curator of exhibitry, Scot Keller. ‘The two-litre 328 – arguably one of the most successful sports cars of the 1930s – is just one example of BMW’s motoring legacy, having achieved a class win in the celebrated Mille Miglia in 1938 and an overall victory in 1940.’
Heroes of Bavaria was the brainchild of the BMW CCA Foundation last year, and proved to be a popular exhibit for BMW club members and fans. Its second major exhibit will be titled The Icon: 50 Years of the 2002.
For more information on the Heroes of Bavaria opening celebrations, go to the LeMay website.
Classic Cars for Sale
- MOT Certificates back to 1996 - Thousands spent with Cropredy Bridge - Invoices going back to 1989 - Same owner since 1989 - Full leather interior re-trim and new carpets by Cropredy Bridge in July 2006 - Full engine re-build and unleaded conversion by Cropredy Bridge in 2003 - New A/C in 2002 - Extensive works including partial wiring in 2002 - Gearbox recon in 1999 - New rep
Fully restored 1964 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8 MKIII. The 3-liter inline 6 cylinder engine was rebuilt. It received all new bearing rings,the cam shaft lifters were replaced, new timing chain was added and all the gaskets and seals were replaced, including all freeze plugs. The car also has brand new chrome wire wheel. The car runs and drives perfectly and everything works as it should.
Dodge Polara 426 Max Wedge Ramcharger Rotisserie restoration, this matching numbers car to the bone Ramcharger still has it's original Engine, transmission and rear end and it is in very good condition. Dodge Polara Ramcharger that still retains all of it's original.
very rare Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA (1.600) one of only 500 produced street configuration, completely original excellent general conditions fully working original color belonged to a single owner from 1967 to today one of the most important Alfa Romeo in history, ideal for collectors people. Car growing quotation We offer logistics and home delivery service. Shipping costs a