75 years of BMW Motorsports celebrated at the LeMay
A new exhibition for the LeMay – America’s Car Museum, to mark 75 years of BMW’s successes in all forms of motorsport
A new exhibition, Heroes of Bavaria – 75 Years of BMW Motorsports opens today, May 12, at the LeMay – America’s Car Museum in Tacoma, Washington. It will feature 17 of BMW’s most iconic race cars, and will be followed a week later by a second exhibition, celebrating the BMW 2002, which opens on May 18.
Heroes of Bavaria includes a 1961 700 RS and a 1972 3.0 CSL Group 2 rally car – the only one of its kind. Also on display is a BMW Williams Formula F1 driven by Ralf Schumacher in eight races, achieving three podium finishes during the 2000 season.
- John Surtees’ BMW 507 to be sold
- The AutoClassics guide to buying a BMW E30 M3
- Classic BMWs for sale
The rest of the cars are as follows:
- 1937 328 Roadster
- 1961 700 RS first-built 700 RS
- 1965 1800 TI/SA
- 1972 3.0 CSL Group 2 Rally #6 Rauro Aaltonen/John Davenport
- 1977 (E21) 320 Turbo IMSA Group 5 #2 David Hobbs
- 1981 March-BMW 812 Formula 2 #5 Christian Danner
- 1981 March-BMW M1/C IMSA #2 David Hobbs/Mark Surer
- 1986 635i ‘John Player Special’ Livery #1
- 1987 (E30) M3 Korman Firehawk Series #28 Davy Jones
- 1992 (E36) M3 GTS-3 IMSA #07 ‘Valvoline’ Livery
- 1994 (E34) M5 Bridgestone Supercar #2 David Donohue
- 1994 (E36) 320i Super Touring #2 Paul Morris
- 2000 BMW.Williams FW22 Formula 1 #10 Ralf Schumacher
- 2011 (E92) M3 GT IMSA Champion #56 Joey Hand/Dirk Mueller
- 2015 (E89) Z4 GTLM IMSA ‘BMW NA 40th Anniversary’ Livery #25 Auberlen/Werner/Farfus
- 2017 (F13) M6 GTLM IMSA ‘Bill Power’ Livery #25 Bill Auberlen/Alexander Sims/Kuno Wittmer
They’ve been assembled with the help of private collectors, the BMW USA Classic Collection and the BMW Car Club of America, to celebrate BMW’s motorsports history.
‘The Heroes of Bavaria exhibit celebrates the history of BMW racing by featuring noteworthy race cars beginning with the infamous 328,’ said museum curator of exhibitry, Scot Keller. ‘The two-litre 328 – arguably one of the most successful sports cars of the 1930s – is just one example of BMW’s motoring legacy, having achieved a class win in the celebrated Mille Miglia in 1938 and an overall victory in 1940.’
Heroes of Bavaria was the brainchild of the BMW CCA Foundation last year, and proved to be a popular exhibit for BMW club members and fans. Its second major exhibit will be titled The Icon: 50 Years of the 2002.
For more information on the Heroes of Bavaria opening celebrations, go to the LeMay website.
Classic Cars for Sale
anno: 6 july 1966 chilometri: carrozzeria: sana molto bella no ruggine, tappeti in gomma nuovi.colore blu lancia originale.telaio 010684 omologata asi targa oro meccanica: motore perfetto originale 1216 ccgomme e freni nuovi condizioni: da uso immediato documenti regolari prezzo: 16500 info: first series engine 1216cc run very well no rust historic certificate,start and drive coinditions, al
Completely original Ford Capri 1700 GT. Has had only one owner and has 32.000 km. To find a car of 48 years old was impossible untill now. Perfectly kept in condition in a barn. This Capri was build in Germany! More info and pictures at: www.oldtimersgilis.be