75 years of BMW Motorsports celebrated at the LeMay
A new exhibition for the LeMay – America’s Car Museum, to mark 75 years of BMW’s successes in all forms of motorsport
A new exhibition, Heroes of Bavaria – 75 Years of BMW Motorsports opens today, May 12, at the LeMay – America’s Car Museum in Tacoma, Washington. It will feature 17 of BMW’s most iconic race cars, and will be followed a week later by a second exhibition, celebrating the BMW 2002, which opens on May 18.
Heroes of Bavaria includes a 1961 700 RS and a 1972 3.0 CSL Group 2 rally car – the only one of its kind. Also on display is a BMW Williams Formula F1 driven by Ralf Schumacher in eight races, achieving three podium finishes during the 2000 season.
- John Surtees’ BMW 507 to be sold
- The AutoClassics guide to buying a BMW E30 M3
- Classic BMWs for sale
The rest of the cars are as follows:
- 1937 328 Roadster
- 1961 700 RS first-built 700 RS
- 1965 1800 TI/SA
- 1972 3.0 CSL Group 2 Rally #6 Rauro Aaltonen/John Davenport
- 1977 (E21) 320 Turbo IMSA Group 5 #2 David Hobbs
- 1981 March-BMW 812 Formula 2 #5 Christian Danner
- 1981 March-BMW M1/C IMSA #2 David Hobbs/Mark Surer
- 1986 635i ‘John Player Special’ Livery #1
- 1987 (E30) M3 Korman Firehawk Series #28 Davy Jones
- 1992 (E36) M3 GTS-3 IMSA #07 ‘Valvoline’ Livery
- 1994 (E34) M5 Bridgestone Supercar #2 David Donohue
- 1994 (E36) 320i Super Touring #2 Paul Morris
- 2000 BMW.Williams FW22 Formula 1 #10 Ralf Schumacher
- 2011 (E92) M3 GT IMSA Champion #56 Joey Hand/Dirk Mueller
- 2015 (E89) Z4 GTLM IMSA ‘BMW NA 40th Anniversary’ Livery #25 Auberlen/Werner/Farfus
- 2017 (F13) M6 GTLM IMSA ‘Bill Power’ Livery #25 Bill Auberlen/Alexander Sims/Kuno Wittmer
They’ve been assembled with the help of private collectors, the BMW USA Classic Collection and the BMW Car Club of America, to celebrate BMW’s motorsports history.
‘The Heroes of Bavaria exhibit celebrates the history of BMW racing by featuring noteworthy race cars beginning with the infamous 328,’ said museum curator of exhibitry, Scot Keller. ‘The two-litre 328 – arguably one of the most successful sports cars of the 1930s – is just one example of BMW’s motoring legacy, having achieved a class win in the celebrated Mille Miglia in 1938 and an overall victory in 1940.’
Heroes of Bavaria was the brainchild of the BMW CCA Foundation last year, and proved to be a popular exhibit for BMW club members and fans. Its second major exhibit will be titled The Icon: 50 Years of the 2002.
For more information on the Heroes of Bavaria opening celebrations, go to the LeMay website.
Classic Cars for Sale
this car has been in my possession since 1990 and has been cherished, mot November 2017 for 12 months 120k miles on the clock great condition for its year needs little loving care attention minor spot of rust on one wheel arch and near side rear corner, this is a car for enthusiast not for person that have no knowledge of classic cars, have had to re advertise due to time wasters this is one of th
Power Assisted Steering, Sports Seats, Sunroof, Radio CD, Service History, 2 Owners from New, M-Technics Styling Kit, Ultra Low Mileage, Phil Presswood Specialist Cars is delighted to present this outstanding `Time-Warp` E36 BMW 325i Coupe in Bright Red. Having covered just 3,062 miles from new this car is absolutely pristine as you would expect. This museum condition BMW is very nicely specified
Hi . The time has come to sell my bmw 635 as I just don’t have the time for it any more It has 10 months mot Runs and drivers very well and can be driven any distance 117000 miles It needs a little tlc as most cars of this age do but it’s a very good solid usable classic Set the price low so no silly offer pls Any questions please don’t hesitate to contact me on