75 years of BMW Motorsports celebrated at the LeMay
A new exhibition for the LeMay – America’s Car Museum, to mark 75 years of BMW’s successes in all forms of motorsport
A new exhibition, Heroes of Bavaria – 75 Years of BMW Motorsports opens today, May 12, at the LeMay – America’s Car Museum in Tacoma, Washington. It will feature 17 of BMW’s most iconic race cars, and will be followed a week later by a second exhibition, celebrating the BMW 2002, which opens on May 18.
Heroes of Bavaria includes a 1961 700 RS and a 1972 3.0 CSL Group 2 rally car – the only one of its kind. Also on display is a BMW Williams Formula F1 driven by Ralf Schumacher in eight races, achieving three podium finishes during the 2000 season.
- John Surtees’ BMW 507 to be sold
- The AutoClassics guide to buying a BMW E30 M3
- Classic BMWs for sale
The rest of the cars are as follows:
- 1937 328 Roadster
- 1961 700 RS first-built 700 RS
- 1965 1800 TI/SA
- 1972 3.0 CSL Group 2 Rally #6 Rauro Aaltonen/John Davenport
- 1977 (E21) 320 Turbo IMSA Group 5 #2 David Hobbs
- 1981 March-BMW 812 Formula 2 #5 Christian Danner
- 1981 March-BMW M1/C IMSA #2 David Hobbs/Mark Surer
- 1986 635i ‘John Player Special’ Livery #1
- 1987 (E30) M3 Korman Firehawk Series #28 Davy Jones
- 1992 (E36) M3 GTS-3 IMSA #07 ‘Valvoline’ Livery
- 1994 (E34) M5 Bridgestone Supercar #2 David Donohue
- 1994 (E36) 320i Super Touring #2 Paul Morris
- 2000 BMW.Williams FW22 Formula 1 #10 Ralf Schumacher
- 2011 (E92) M3 GT IMSA Champion #56 Joey Hand/Dirk Mueller
- 2015 (E89) Z4 GTLM IMSA ‘BMW NA 40th Anniversary’ Livery #25 Auberlen/Werner/Farfus
- 2017 (F13) M6 GTLM IMSA ‘Bill Power’ Livery #25 Bill Auberlen/Alexander Sims/Kuno Wittmer
They’ve been assembled with the help of private collectors, the BMW USA Classic Collection and the BMW Car Club of America, to celebrate BMW’s motorsports history.
‘The Heroes of Bavaria exhibit celebrates the history of BMW racing by featuring noteworthy race cars beginning with the infamous 328,’ said museum curator of exhibitry, Scot Keller. ‘The two-litre 328 – arguably one of the most successful sports cars of the 1930s – is just one example of BMW’s motoring legacy, having achieved a class win in the celebrated Mille Miglia in 1938 and an overall victory in 1940.’
Heroes of Bavaria was the brainchild of the BMW CCA Foundation last year, and proved to be a popular exhibit for BMW club members and fans. Its second major exhibit will be titled The Icon: 50 Years of the 2002.
For more information on the Heroes of Bavaria opening celebrations, go to the LeMay website.
Classic Cars for Sale
A VERY VERY RARE GENUINE HARTGE H5SP AUTO 3.5 275 PS // FRESH IMPORT // FULL BLACK LEATHER // Metallic Black, This 1990 BMW Hartge H5SP. Super RARE – COLLECTIBLE BMW, genuine Hartge. Compared to a regular e34 535i, . 3.5L online 6, this car has 275HP with Hartge Camshaft, Hartge Exhaust /headers, Hartge Suspension, Brakes and Muffler. Very powerful car. Black Metallic with Black Leather. Sunroof
- BMW 840 Ci, pinnacle of German automotive engineering. - re-imported from US in 2016, used to run in California. - light red paint, repainted, grey leather interior. - typically rich features list includes cruise control, climate control and trip computer. - heated and electrically adjustable seats, driver seat with memory function. - power windows front and rear, sunroof. - brawny 4.0 litre V8
1994 BMW 840 CI. One of 712 840ci coupes made in 1994. Recently serviced. 4.0L V-8 engine (M60B40) with 10.0:1 compression. Five-speed automatic transmission. Bright Red exterior (code 314) with black Nappa Leather interior (code 525). Air-conditioning, cruise control, body-colored sunroof, power steering, power four-wheel disc brakes with anti-lock, power door locks, power windows, power mirrors,
- eye-catching 1985 BMW 635 CSi. - originally delivered to the US, re-imported to Germany in 2015 - drivers seat has pronounced traces of wear and tear. - apart from that, brown leather interior in decent condition for its age. - dashboard in good condition. - paintwork presentable with minor flaking. - electrically adjustable seats, power windows, electric steel sunroof. - air conditioning and cr