Ferruccio Lamborghini was already a successful businessman when, in 1963, he decided to found a car company, named after himself. He chose Sant'Agata Bolognese as the location and recruited a variety of famous and capable engineers to design his cars, including Bizzarrini, Dallara and Stanzani.
The first car, the 350GT, entered production in 1964 and combined a Bizzarrini developed quad-cam V12 with a Dallara developed chassis. As might be guessed, this combination proved very effective and the 350GT remained in production until 1968, albeit in revised 400GT form from 1966.
More groundbreaking was the 1966 release of the Miura, which used a transversely mounted V12 behind the occupants. With a Bertone designed two-seater bodyshell (actually by Gandini and Giugiaro whilst working there), the Miura proved a great success and continued until 1973 when it was replaced by the equally famous Countach. Meantime, the Islero had replaced the 400GT in 1968 as the companies 2+2 coupe, whilst in the same year the Espada had introduced genuine four-seater capacity to the marque. 1970 saw the Islero replaced by the similar Jarama, whilst two years later the V8 Urraco entered another market segment, that of the 'small' supercar.
Also in 1972 Lamborghini sold 51% of his company to a Swiss businessman, with the remaining 49% going to another Swiss in 1974. The latter year saw the Countach revealed in production form complete with 4-litre mid-mounted V12 and brutal, angular styling. Production continued until 1988 by which time the engine had been increased to 5-litres.
However, the companies problems did not go away and in 1978, Lamborghini went into receivership. Three years later the Mimram brothers took control and began to revitalise the marque. First came the Jalpa, a restyled and heavily modified Urraco, then more potent Countachs and then, in 1982, the LM002. The latter was a Countach engined four-wheel drive off-road vehicle and quite a break with tradition!
In 1987 Chrysler purchased Lamborghini and development began of a new Countach replacement, as well as a Formula One engine. The latter debuted in 1989 and continued for some years without success, whilst the former, named Diablo, emerged in 1990 and continued in production for many years. Continuing the mid-mounted V12 theme it is also available with four-wheel drive and a roadster has also been built.
In 1998 Lamborghini was sold to the VW Group, where it came under the control of Audi.
Listings stats on AutoClassics
A one-in-20 Murcielago, a Diablo press and show car plus a single-owner Espada have joined Silverstone Auctions' September sale
Limited edition Lamborghinis join Silverstone Auctions sale
In 1993 McLaren had to switch from Honda to Ford for its F1 engine supply. Unhappy with Ford, McLaren organised secret Lamborghini powered tests at Silverstone and Estoril
Ayrton Senna’s Lamborghini-powered McLaren
Standard Lamborghini not wild enough for you? How about these crazy-looking concept cars from the kings of outrageous supercars
Top 10 Lamborghini Concept Cars
Lamborghini's Polo Storico restoration division has restored the only Miura SVR ever made. Could this be the ultimate Miura?
The ultimate Lamborghini Miura returns!
Lamborghini for sale
Wonderful LAMBORGHINI ESPADA II° series second series with 4.0L engine with 350 hp and improved interior completely restored, like new engine matching number, fully functional, just rebuild perfect interior color not original, but changed shortly after exiting the factory. this color was available in the range of this model We offer logistics and home delivery service. Shippi
Vehicle Notes. Cats Exotics is open to trades of all makes and models! We also offer a wide variety of lease and purchase options. Please call us at 425-787-6200 or e-mail Sales@CatsExotics.com with any questions. - 2006 Lamborghini Gallardo finished in Blue Caelum metallic over Blue Scylla & Avorio Lilum dual color interior. - Coming to us with 23,297 miles currently on the odometer. - Powered by
Vehicle Notes. Cats Exotics is open to trades of all makes and models! We also offer a wide variety of lease and purchase options. Please call us at 425-787-6200 or e-mail Sales@CatsExotics.com with any questions. - 2008 Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 Roadster finished in Giallo Orion (Pearl Yellow) over Nero Ade Q-Citura leather interior with yellow contrast stitching. - Coming to us with 14,413 mi
1969 Lamborghini Islero S: Grigio Fumo with original Cinnamon pigskin interior, One of only 100 ever built, Driven only 8,854 original miles since new, even the original tires! In beautiful condition throughout. Truly magnificent interior and coachwork. $375,000. Presented by HERITAGE CLASSICS located at 8980 Santa Monica Boulevard, West Hollywood, California 90069, Tel +1 (310) 657-9699