1913 Piccard Pictet 20/30
One of a kind “Swiss Rolls Royce”
Believed to be the only one in existence
Long-term ownership history in Argentina
Piccard Pictet was Switzerland’s only automobile manufacturer. Prior to producing motorcars Piccard Pictet were best known as hydraulic engineers who specialised in manufacturing mechanical devices, machinery and turbines in their workshop in Geneva. The company began producing motorcars more by chance than by decision. In 1904 brothers Charles and Frédéric Dufaux wanted to build their own race car for the Gordon Bennet event but lacked the necessary tooling to build precision parts for the engine and gearbox and so approached Piccard Pictet to build the car.
However, the elderly Paul Piccard did not believe in the future of the Automobile which was still in its infancy and so resisted the idea of turning the company’s focus to producing cars and it was left to Lucien Pictet, brother of a banker of considerable means to enlighten the elderly Piccard of the potential of personal motorised transport. While Pictet ultimately succeeded in persuading Piccard there remained friction in the company structure and so a separate company Société d’Automobiles de Genève who produced cars under licence. After being appointed Managing Director of SAG, Pictet travelled to Barcelona to meet with fellow Swiss Marc Birkigt of Hispano-Suiza. Pictet had long admired Hispano-Suiza’s cars and had an ambition to make the cars more Swiss than Spanish and so negotiated a licence agreement to produce 120 chassis at 300 Swiss Francs per car. This agreement brought the company a steady income but no doubt hampered their own development designs.
When the Hispano-Suiza contract came to an end in 1909 Piccard Pictet began trading under their own name once again and were now free to pursue their own engineering philosophy. Their cars very quickly became thought of as a Swiss Rolls Royce with the same attention to detail, quality and reputation for reliability. Despite their comparatively small output Piccard Pictet were right at the forefront of automotive development and were one of the first companies to recognise the benefits in refinement of the single-sleeve valve design and signed a licence agreement to produce the a engine design with Scottish manufacturers Argyll. By 1913 Pic Pic as they had now become affectionately known had earned such a good reputation that the Swiss Army placed an order for a large number of Pic Pics that were still in service in the late 1930s.
The Pic Pic we have for sale here is an incredibly original 1913 20/30 model and is believed to be the only one in existence. The previous owner, Mr Adam bought the car in 1957 and transported it to his hometown of La Plata in Argentina. Mr Adam bought the car with the intention of dismantling the rear section so he could install a loud speaker and drive around the streets of La Plata to advertise his business. Unfortunately for Mr Adam the local council banned the practise of promoting business by public audio system in public areas and so the Pic Pic was saved. Having never been intended for personal use, the car remained in the warehouse of the family business long after Mr Adam’s death in 1969 and was eventually bought in barn-find condition by the owner in 2016. Since then the Pic Pic has been re-assembled, dusted off and remains in original condition with no alterations or restoration since it left the factory 105 years ago.
Being the only Swiss manufactured car and remaining in preservation condition, this remarkable Pic Pic represents a fantastic opportunity to own an important piece of automotive history.
There are no any price changes yet
This sympathetic 1938 Talbot Lago T4 was originally delivered in France.This lovely second owner luxury sedan has made its way to a Belgian collection a few years ago.Since it was body off restored somewhere during the eighties this car is still in a very nice overall condition. Especially the technical side of this Talbot is remarkable. It shows absolutely no rust and fires up on first crank. The
This car is Absolutely gorgeous 1963 Mercedes 190SL Convertible. It has been completely restored. Everything has been rebuilt, refinished or replaced. It runs and drives as new. This car is a work of art. It would look at home in an art gallery as well as the street. The hard top is completely restored as well. The dove grey soft top is a nice touch. if you interested , dont hesitate to conta
This matching numbers 1971 Porsche 911E recently underwent a complete high level body off restoration. The car was brought back to its original rare and sought after colour scheme namely Condagreen ( exterior ) with a beige leather interior. Of course engine and gearbox where fully rebuild and the car performs to its full potential. In short and investment car that is lovely to drive with an ex
This 1995 Jaguar XJS Convertible was recently imported out of Florida. We can categorise this XJS as a nice and strong daily driver. This Jaguar has no rust on undercarriage or body. The 4.0 engine runs strong and smooth and the automatic gearbox shifts without hesitation. The car has good paint and a nice full leather tan interior. The soft top had a small damage during transport so a brand new
This simply incredible 1960 Austin Healey Sprite Mk1 or so called “frogeye” is in impeccable condition. This Sprite was originally delivered as a rarely build left hand drive in Germany where is spend most of its life. Our Healey is now offered out of Belgian private collection. Since this frogeye has been nut and bolt restored in 2010 by the renowned British Car Service in Bremen and has hard
The 356 was the first production car of Porsche. Its model range was built from 1948 to 1965 in four different types. All had the famous air-cooled 4 cylinder engine. The offerred Porsche ist a B-type of 1963. It has drum brakes and a 60 PS engine. 2001-2002 it had a restoration of the body with all new paint in Switzerland. A lot of documented work was done in the last 10 years. The car is in ver
The 356 ‘C’ model arrived in 1963 sporting disc brakes all round (first seen on the 2-litre Carrera 2), a new ZF steering gear and a compensating spring at the rear to calm the swing axle rear suspension. Engines options were the 75bhp ‘C’ and the 95bhp ‘SC’, both 1,600cc, the latter replacing the Super 90 model. In excellent and restored condition, this California example of the Porsc
The Alvis Speed 20 SA now offered for sale at The Classic Motor Hub (chassis number 10157) left the works and was sent to Vanden Plas where it was fitted with the open tourer coachwork you see today, body number 1959. Finished in April 1933, the car was sent down to Harris & Day in Cardiff and registered KG 2417 and delivered to its first owner Mr. C. Keen of Llanishen near Cardiff. He kept the ca
The Classic Motor Hub